Personal Safety Tips
- Keep your windows and doors locked at all times.
- Do not leave a key in your mailbox or under your door mats.
- Never let a stranger in your home to make a phone call.
- Do not say you are not home on your answering machine.
- Never give your social security number, date of birth, or personal information of any kind to people you do not know over the phone or internet
- If you purchase a new home, have the locks changed.
- Have your outside lights on a time and/or motion detector.
- If you are gone for a long period of time, have someone pick up your mail/newspaper or have the service stopped.
- Have a friend or relative check on your house occasionally.
- Keep your garage door down and locked even if you are home.
- Bicycles are items that are stolen frequently. When you and your family are through riding them, make sure they are put away securely.
WHILE OUT IN THE COMMUNITIES:
- Do not take short cuts or walk in or near any open alleys or deserted streets.
- Use caution in parking lots: always have your car key out and ready to use.
- Do not walk in poorly lit areas, doorways, parks or malls.
- Do not accept rides from strangers.
- Do not use ATM card at the same time or day of the week.
- Use ATM machines that are inside of stores where there are people around.
- Make sure that no one is watching when you enter your PIN number.
- If you make a withdrawal, put the money away immediately. You can count it when you’re safely in your car.
- If you are using the ATM at night, have someone with you.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times, but especially at dawn and dusk.